Students at Spilsby’s King Edward VI Academy get inspired to deliver outstanding opportunities for young people
Monday, January 8, 2018
Students and staff at Spilsby’s King Edward VI Academy, part of the David Ross Education Trust, have been hosting a number of fundraising activities to help create inspirational experiences and exciting learning opportunities for over 12,000 young people across the Trust.
The secondary school has been busy raising money for the David Ross Education Trust’s Inspiration Fund, which enables students at the Trust’s 34 schools to experience from once in a lifetime opportunities to help broaden their horizons.
As part of the Trust’s pioneering all-round education at all of its schools, students have the chance to embrace a whole host of inspirational learning and life-skills opportunities to encourage them to explore new experiences, develop their passions and discover new talents. Just some of the amazing opportunities available to students include:
- Incredible opportunities to travel the world and take part in challenges and volunteer projects across the globe
- Inspirational workshops with world-renowned artists helping students to explore their creativity
- Being taught by acclaimed musicians and conductors to build confidence and grow their musical talents and performing at music festivals and choral workshops
- Competing in Trust-wide sporting tournaments attended by Team GB sporting heroes, through to having the opportunity to be mentored from elite athletes
- Debating global current affairs with journalists and politicians, encouraging students to have a keener interest in the world around them
In the lead up to the festive period, King Edward VI Academy hosted a fun-filled Christmas Fair, where families and members of the local community were invited to purchase home-made cakes and crafts, strike a pose in the photo booth and visit Santa in his grotto.
Students and staff also took part in their very own Christmas Jumper Day, where they donned their best Christmas jumpers and decorated themselves with tinsel and baubles. Additional fundraising events held at King Edward VI Academy included a lunchtime karaoke session, Santa Fun Run, football tournament, and weekly tuck-shop.
As a result of the school’s recent fundraising events, students and staff were delighted to announce that over £1,300 has been raised for the Inspiration Fund to help enhance the enrichment opportunities its pupils receive across the Trust.
Jo Myhill-Johnson, Principal at King Edward VI Academy, said: “We are exceptionally proud of everyone’s commitment to supporting the Trust’s Inspiration Fund, which will help us to provide even more outstanding opportunities for young people at our 34 schools. We can see first-hand how our pupils at our school benefit hugely from these once in a lifetime experiences that our Trust provides. That is why so many of our students, colleagues and parents want to get involved in supporting the Inspiration Fund along with our family of other Trust schools too.”