- 24th Mar 2022 12:06
Charles Read Academy Rated Good in Latest Ofsted Monitoring Inspection
Charles Read Academy in Grantham, part of the David Ross Education Trust, has maintained its Ofsted rating of 'Good' in its latest monitoring inspection.
This rating recognises the consistent efforts of the academy to improve all aspects of school life since its previous inspection in 2017, all whilst tackling the challenges of the pandemic.
Inspectors highlighted many impressive areas of school life in their report, noting that Charles Read is a school where staff want the very best for all pupils. They were impressed by the academy’s “ambitious” leadership team and the strong sense of community that is felt throughout the school.
Further highlights of the report include:
- Pupils are proud of the school and want to do well, and behaviour in the school is excellent. The atmosphere in lessons is calm and pupils and staff treat each other with mutual respect.
- Teachers provide good-quality teaching and support to help pupils meet any challenges with their learning. There is a consistency to lessons that means pupils know what to expect and settle into class quickly.
- Leaders have adopted a curriculum that is well designed and build pupils’ knowledge and skills.
- Leaders have enhanced the curriculum through a programme of activities including sports, career development and personal development.
- With the support of DRET, leaders have provided high-quality professional development for teachers to improve subject knowledge, which is highly valued by staff at Charles Read.
- Leaders have prioritised helping pupils return to routines following the pandemic, ensuring that there is sufficient academic and mental health support in place so that pupils can get back on track as quickly as possible.
Sue Jones, Principal at Charles Read Academy, said:
“We are delighted to be recognised once again as a ‘Good’ school by Ofsted. We particularly appreciate the recognition of our consistent efforts to ensure our ‘values and culture are woven through every aspect of school life.’ We have worked hard to develop a quality curriculum that builds pupils’ skills and knowledge, and to create an environment where excellent behaviour means we have disruption free learning, which Ofsted acknowledged in their report. We are especially proud to have received this feedback amidst the challenges of the last 18 months.
“We continue to work collaboratively within the school and across DRET to ensure that our school continues to strengthen every aspect of our offer here. We look forward to welcoming Ofsted back in the near future to demonstrate our ongoing progress, and then to continue our journey of improvement once again.”
Mark Neild, Director of Secondary Education at the David Ross Education Trust, said:
“Congratulations to everyone at Charles Read Academy on this fantastic Ofsted report. Sue and her leadership team have done an exceptional job at taking the school from strength to strength and have tackled the challenges of the pandemic with fortitude. Indeed, school leaders, staff and pupils at Charles Read are constantly looking for ways to improve all aspects of school life, and it is marvellous to see the recognition of that hard work in the report.”