- 04th Sept 2020
- Position Held
A Northampton school makes rapid improvements and is now a ‘Good’ school
Eastfield Academy in Northampton, part of the David Ross Education Trust, has demonstrated rapid improvements since the last Ofsted inspection and has been now rated as a ‘Good’ school.
The report highlights improvements made since the appointment of the new principal, Clair Mills. Ofsted inspectors also praised the high standard in reading, mathematics as well as upcoming developments in other subjects like modern foreign languages, and design and technology.
Ofsted’s full inspection report can be read here
Key highlights of Ofsted’s inspection include:
- Students are proud of their harmonious school and say the Principal makes sure the school gets better day by day.
- Pupils appreciate that teachers help them to improve their reading, writing and mathematics.
- Pupils enjoy responsibilities as school councillors and as English as an Additional Language ambassadors.
- Pupils feel very safe because adults listen to them. They know that adults are quick to sort out any issues.
- Staff receive regular training to keep their subject knowledge fresh.
- Reading is an important priority within school; leaders encourage parents to read with their children, and the library has been improved, both in terms of the range of books available, but also the physical spaces provided for pupils to read.
- Teachers plan lessons in mathematics that build on what pupils already know. They are confident to take on more demanding work year-on-year.
- DRET has worked with leaders to improve the curriculum and has provided training for subject leaders and teachers.
- Leaders have plans in place to provide further training in modern foreign languages, and in design and technology. They want to improve teachers’ subject knowledge so that these areas become as established as the strongest.
- Staff in the early years work well with families. Parents appreciate regular updates about their child’s achievements. Caring staff help children settle well.
- Pupils behave well. Staff give pupils many opportunities to develop as well-rounded individuals. They take part in residential visits and visits to museums.
Clair Mills, Principal at Eastfield Academy, said:
“We are extremely happy with the result of our recent inspection. We have worked very hard as a school and I am delighted that we are now rated a ‘good’ school. We have made some great improvements in a range of areas as highlighted in the report and I am excited to continue to develop the school further. It’s clear that Eastfield Academy is going from strength to strength and I am delighted that we are now becoming a school which the community can be proud of.”